1. Do follow the publisher’s submission guidelines (these are usually available online).
2. Do focus on why your book should be read, not only on what it is about.
3. Don’t send the entire typescript if you’ve completed it. A single sample chapter will suffice in the first instance.
4. Don’t use the wrong publisher’s name and thus reveal that you’ve sent the proposal to lots of different presses!
5. Do visit the Author section of Ashgate’s website, where you will find (amongst other helpful information) advice on transforming your thesis into a book. Look for the link entitled “Transforming your Thesis into a Book” on the“Proposal Guidelines for Humanities Authors” web page. Although intended for Humanities academics, the advice is generally applicable to those from Social Science subject areas too.